Spaghetti and Meatballs
1½ lbs. lean ground beef
2 eggs, whisked
½ cup Italian Bread Crumbs
6 garlic cloves, crushed (3 for meatballs, 3 for sauce)
Olive oil, for cooking meatballs
1 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
1 15 oz. can tomato sauce
½ cup chopped onion
½ cup red wine
⅓ cup finely chopped Italian parsley
Grated Parmesan cheese, for garnish
- In a large bowl, add ground beef, whisked eggs, bread crumbs, 3 crushed garlic cloves and salt / pepper. Mix well with your hands.
- Coat a large cast iron skillet with olive oil (filling about 1/4” deep) and heat over med - high.
- Form meat mixture into golf ball sized balls.
- Arrange meatballs in skillet and brown on all sides over med - low heat.
- Transfer cooked meatballs to a paper towel lined plate.
- Drain any excess oil from skillet, but don’t clean it.
- Toss in chopped onion and 3 crushed garlic cloves into same greased skillet.
- Saute over low heat until tender.
- Slowly add in red wine and gently stir.
- Add in crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce and chopped parsley; continuing to stir.
- Once blended, add meatballs back in sauce and let simmer over low heat for 20 - 30 min. Meanwhile, cook pasta.
- Plate pasta with meatballs and sauce. Top with grated Parmesan cheese and more chopped parsley.