Savory Turkey Salad
|Savory Turkey Salad.doc||38.5 KB|
2 1/2 - 3 lb. half turkey breast, skinless (bone-in)
32 oz. chicken broth
1 cup fresh, orange juice (about 3 - 4 oranges squeezed)
4 cloves garlic (cut in half)
1/2 sweet onion (cut into big chunks)
1 head red leaf lettuce (chopped)
1/2 head nappa cabbage (chopped)
1 large handful red cabbage (chopped)
3 - 4 green onions (chopped to green part)
5 - 6 radish (thinly sliced)
1 cup dried apricots (cut into chunks)
1 cup roasted whole almonds (coarsely chopped)
1 cup Cabot Sharp Light Cheddar Cheese (shredded)
1/3 cup Grapeseed Oil
2/3 cup Salad Vinegar
salt/pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Place turkey (breast side down) in a large baking dish / Dutch oven.
- Pour chicken broth and orange juice over turkey.
- Add garlic, onion and salt/pepper.
- Cover and cook for 1 1/2 - 2 hours.
- While turkey is cooking, chop all ingredients for salad.
- For Dressing: In a small bowl, whisk together grapeseed oil, salad vinegar, salt/pepper to taste.
- Once turkey is done, shred all meat with a fork. (leave liquid, onions & garlic aside)
- In a large bowl, layer chopped lettuce, cabbage, radish, green onions, apricots, almonds, cheese and about 1/2 of shredded turkey.
- Drizzle dressing (sparingly) over top and give a gentle toss. Serve immediately.