Muy Mexican Cornbread by Mark McKinney
|Muy Mexican Cornbread.doc||39 KB|
1 cup corn meal
1 cup all-purpose flour
½ cup sugar
1 tsp. salt
3 tsp. baking powder
1 cup milk
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 can yellow corn
2 small cans green chilies
1 lb. ground turkey
1 pkg. shredded cheese (Mexican blend)
1/2 onion - chopped
1-2 jalapenos - diced
1 - 2 garlic cloves – pressed
1 Tbs. cumin
- Brown turkey with onion, garlic, cumin, green chilies, ½ can corn and jalapenos
- In a medium bowl, mix corn meal, flour, sugar, baking soda and salt together.
- In another bowl, mix milk, vegetable oil and egg.
- Fold in already mixed dry ingredients. Add ½ can of corn to the mixture.
- In a large, greased skillet, pour half of cornbread mixture into bottom.
- Layer turkey mixture on top, then add 1 cup of cheese.
- Top with remaining cornbread mixture and a few jalapeno slices to garnish.
- Bake for 45-60 min at 400 F. – (check with toothpick as this is a thick dish)
- Once cooked completely, let stand for 15 min.
- Slice and top with Mark’s special jalapeno sauce
- 4 fresh jalapenos
- 3 Tbs. vegetable oil
- 1 garlic clove
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp sugar
- Blend all together in blender on high