Hot Cross Buns
|Hot Cross Buns.doc||39.5 KB|
- Heat 1 cup milk to scalding (but not boiling). Pour into a mixing bowl and add ½ stick butter with ¼ cup sugar. Gently mix while butter is melting. Allow mixture to cool to lukewarm temperature.
- Once warm, add 1½ cup flour and 1 packet of Active Dry Yeast. Beat all together.
- Cover bowl with a kitchen towel and let sit for 20 minutes while dough starts to bubble.
- Next, add beaten egg, salt, nutmeg, cinnamon, 1 cup flour and lemon zest then beat until smooth.
- Finally, add 1 last cup flour and raisins and lightly knead together.
- Place in a buttered bowl, cover bowl again and let it rise for an hour.
- After the hour, punch the dough down with your fist. Then with buttered fingers, pinch off a piece and form into a ball (golf ball size). For a prettier finish, smooth tops of balls with your fingers.
- Place on a parchment lined baking sheet and brush the tops each ball with a beaten egg. Bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes or until light golden brown.
- Once done, let cool completely before icing.
With a mixer, beat 3 egg whites with 1½ cups sifted, powdered sugar (gradually added in) and 1 Tbs. lemon juice. Beat until icing is stiff enough to pipe over buns.
Add icing to a plastic bag. Snip a small end off from corner end of the bag and begin forming crosses over the tops of each bun.