Homemade Caesar Salad with Croutons
2 large heads of Romaine lettuce, washed and thoroughly dried
1/4 tsp. Anchovy paste
3 garlic cloves, crushed
1/2 tsp. black pepper, freshly cracked
1/2 tsp. Dijon mustard
1 egg, yolk only
4 Tbs. Extra Virgin Olive oil
1 cup Parmesan cheese
1 loaf French Baguette bread
1/2 stick butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Slice bread into 8 slices (about 1” thick) and lay on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Brush each bread slice with melted butter and top with garlic salt.
- Place in heated oven for 15 min. or until edges are golden brown. (Watch carefully as they can go from brown to burnt quickly)
- Meanwhile, wash and dry lettuce. Then sit aside.
- In a large wooden bowl, mix Anchovy paste and crushed garlic cloves. (using a wooden spoon to mash garlic well into paste) Add in fresh pepper and Dijon mustard. Mix again.
- Finally, add egg yolk and olive oil. Give another good stir.
- Tear all lettuce into in bite sized pieces and add into wooden bowl.
- Toss all lettuce well with Caesar dressing.
- Cut toasted bread slices into bite size pieces.
- Sprinkle croutons and Parmesan cheese on top of salad.
- Give one more good toss with salad tongs.