Crock Pot Black-Eyed Peas
|Crock Pot Black-Eyed Peas.doc||39 KB|
3 cups of dry black-eyed peas - or 2 containers Melissa’s pre-soaked brand (symbolizes luck in the New Year)
5 strips bacon (symbolized progress)
4 stalks celery - chopped
1/2 cup onion - chopped
4 cloves garlic - chopped
1 jalapeno - chopped
2 cans chicken broth
2 - 3 cups water
- If you are using dried black-eyed peas, soak them in water making sure the water covers the peas completely for at least 3 hours but preferably overnight.
- If you are using Melissa’s brand in the refrigerated section, skip soaking them.
- In a skillet, pan fry bacon and remove to plate.
- In remaining bacon grease, saute celery, onion and garlic.
- Pour black-eyed peas into crock pot or slow cooker, add sauteed vegetables, chopped jalapeno, crumbled bacon, beer, chicken broth and water. Make sure water covers the top of the peas.
- Set crock pot on low, cover and cook for 6 - 8 hours.
- Serve with sauerkraut or collard greens (symbolizing wealth) , kielbasa (representing progress) and corn bread (representing happiness)