Chicken Fried Steak & Gravy by Granger Smith
|Chicken Fried Steak & Gravy.doc||39 KB|
- Cut steak into serving size pieces (if they are large, I cut in half)
- Using a meat mallet, tenderize the steak to ¼ “ thick.
You need 4 bowls for dipping the steaks:
- One bowl with a cup of milk – 2nd bowl with a cup of flour
- Another bowl, beat egg and add remaining cup of milk
- In 4th bowl mix remaining flour and seasonings together
- Heat vegetable oil in large skillet on medium high heat.
- Place steak in 1st milk bowl. Then dip it into the flour, shaking off any excess flour.
- Dip into egg/milk mixture and finally drudge into the seasoned flour mixture.
- Place as many steaks in skillet as possible without overcrowding. Cook 2 -3 minutes per side until golden brown. (Don’t overcook)
- Remove and place on paper towels to drain. Keep warm –
- Drain majority of oil out of skillet retaining the pieces (yum-yums off the bottom of the pan) and enough oil to make gravy.
- Heat on medium/low -
- Toss a few tablespoons of seasoned flour into skillet and blend all together – (oil, yum-yums and flour)
- Slowly add milk into skillet and continually stirring while smoothing out all lumps.
- Keep adding milk to desired consistency of gravy. Less milk will create thick gravy and more milk will thin it.
- Taste…may need extra ground pepper and some salt
- Pour gravy over pre-cooked steaks- Enjoy!!!!
I really enjoyed getting to know and cook with Granger. His sense of humor and personality makes cooking all the more fun. He truly was a bit nervous about the outcome of the gravy but he pulled it off and the recipe was proof of good eatin’.
Granger has started another new chapter. He was married to a beautiful and precious girl named Amber just this year in February. Their story of love at first sight is quite unique in that Amber was the actress chosen to be in Granger’s music video.
I’m sure there lives together will be full of adventure, great songs, lots of good laughs and probably some good cookin’ as well!